SLALOM is aligned with ISO Standard on Cloud SLAs
SLALOM technical team just released the first version of our complete SLA specification that provides an initial approach considering the outcomes of the analysis carried out in the last months, which comprised a) standardization approaches and working groups, including ISO, b) current SLAs offered by commercial cloud providers, c) expressed views by cloud providers and adopters, and d) research outcomes.
SLALOM SLA specification follows and proposes various additions and modifications to ISO documents. More specifically:
- It follows exactly the ISO 19086-2 in terms of the core blocks (i.e. metric definition, parameters definition, rule definition) and the corresponding elements (e.g. ID, name, unit, scale, etc) of the SLA.
- It follows ISO 3534-2 in terms of how the metric follows different scales (such as interval, ratio, nominal or ordinal).
- Will submit suggestions to ISO 19086-2 with respect to the naming of specific elements (e.g. referenceId is used both for metricId for parameterId and for ruleId, while SLALOM proposes the use of different identifiers).
- Will submit suggestions to ISO 19086-2 with respect to the inclusion of additional elements and blocks. These mainly refer to the importance of a metric (i.e. gradeOfImportance) and its (potential) dependencies with other metrics.
An initial attempt to provide an abstract metric function/definition that can be exploited to specify any SLA metric is included in SLALOM Technical SLA Specification v1 that has just been released. The proposed function definition is aligned/linked to the work of ISO in various contribution in the context of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms. More specifically, similar attempts are proposed:
- It is aligned in terms of what is required in an SLA and how this should be defined. For example Expression (e.g. page 9) corresponds to the Abstract Metric Definition in the SLALOM SLA Specification document, or Observation time total corresponds to the Period in the SLALOM SLA Specification document. Moreover, Measurements are introduced similar with the SLALOM introduced concept of Samples.
- It is aligned in terms of applying the expressions / functions to a specific case (i.e. availability). SLALOM Technical SLA Specification v1 document also includes such examples to depict its applicability given existing commercial SLAs.
- It is aligned in terms of identifying the need to express through a specific function the metrics/elements included in the SLAs.
SLALOM will be present at ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38 Cloud Computing and Distributed Platforms event (Dublin, 5-9 October 2015) to present our approach aligned with ISO work.
Contact us via eMail if you want to schedule a 1-on-1 demonstration.